Christopher J. Anderson
Christopher Anderson is a Partner at Robert Allen Law and has extensive experience in representing a broad spectrum of clients in the yachting industry, including buyers, sellers, manufacturers, brokerages, dealers, and marine lenders. He speaks and publishes frequently on legal matters important to the yachting industry. Chris is ranked by Chambers and Partners, is a Super Lawyer Rising Star, and is an AV Rated Martindale Hubbell lawyer.
Mr. Anderson graduated magna cum laude from the University of Miami School of Law and received his B.A. from Johns Hopkins University. He is a member of the Association of Yacht Sales Professionals (YBAA), the International Yacht Brokers Association where he served on the IYBA Forms Committee and was a key contributor to the rewriting of essential IYBA Forms.
Represented Mexican purchaser in negotiation of construction contract for €153.000.000 new-build 80M Dutch yacht.
Represented Canadian purchaser of €53.000.000 Italian-built 63M yacht.
Represented US buyer in negotiation of construction contract for €71.000.000 new-build 67M Italian yacht.
Represented Canadian buyer in purchase and financing of a Langkawi-registered yacht located in Thailand.
Represented American consortium of US buyers in $20,000,000 purchase of 156’ American-built vessel.
Represented American lender in negotiation of $18,000,000 acquisition and construction line of credit for a distressed hull under construction in Turkey.
Represented American buyer in $27,500,000 purchase of company that owned American-built vessel.
Represent US-dealer in the sale and distribution of Italian power yachts.
Represented several American buyers in contract and build negotiations with Polish shipyard.
Drafted the standard industry purchase and sale agreement, listing agreement, and other forms used in most Florida-based yacht transactions.
Led team of attorneys from Canada, Mexico, and the Cayman Islands in the negotiation and documentation of a $17.5MM loan against a Cayman-flagged vessel.
Represented US dealer of Italian yachting group in all corporate matters, including negotiating sales and advising on sales tax, customs, and regulatory compliance.
Represented buyers and sellers in the acquisition and sale of luxury yachts.
Acted as lead counsel in the sale and transfer of €10.5 MM luxury yacht to purchaser in Italy.
Represented purchaser in negotiation of €16.5MM new-yacht construction agreement.
Represented US-based yacht manufacturer in defense of warranty claims made by European dealer.
Represented US distributor for European yacht manufacturer in the negotiation of their dealer agreement, warranty documents, and purchase and sale agreement.
Acted as lead counsel for Guatemalan investment group in the purchase of 53 townhome units in a distressed real estate project in Broward County, Florida.
Represented Spanish investment group in the $184MM sale of a 30-story, 525,000-square-foot Class A office tower on Brickell Avenue in Miami, Florida.
- University of Miami School of Law (J.D., 2005), magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Articles and Comments Editor, University of Miami Law Review
- Johns Hopkins University (B.A., 1999)
Professional and Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- International Yacht Brokers Association, Forms Committee
- Yacht Brokers Association of America
- National Marine Lenders Association
- Johns Hopkins University National Alumni Schools Committee
- Lending on Foreign-Flag Vessels, Panel Discussion, National Marine Lenders Association Conference, 2017.
- Legal Tips for Smooth Sailing After Closing (Lead author), International Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, 2017.
- Understanding U.S. Entry and Exit Requirements for Yachts (Lead author), International Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, April/May 2017
- Fraud in Yacht Sales (Lead author). Yacht Brokers Association of America Yacht Brokers News, April 2016.
- EIAPP and ROAFS- What are you Talking About? Florida Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, December 2015.
- New York Sales & Use Tax on Yachts Update (Lead author). Florida Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, October/November 2015.
- Navigating the Delivery Location, Florida Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, 2015.
- 2014 Updates to FYBA Documents (coauthor), Florida Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, 2015.
- Seven Things You Should Know about the New FYBA Purchase and Sale and Listing Agreements, Florida Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, 2013.
- Using Yachts as Collateral in Marine Lending (coauthor), Florida Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, 2013.
- Legal Considerations for Fractional Ownership of Yachts, Florida Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine.
- Fractional Ownership of Yachts, Panel Discussion, Florida Yacht Brokers Association.
- Introducing the New FYBA Listing Agreement, FYBA presentation, 2012.
- Foreign Investment in the United States, (coauthor), US-Italy Chamber of Commerce Southeast, 2009.
- Ranked “Up and Coming” in Yachts and Super-yachts by Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Global-wide Guide 2020-present
- AV Rated Attorney Martindale Hubbell 2014-present
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers–Rising Stars Edition 2012-2016
Robert Allen Law has offices in The Four Seasons Office Tower in the heart of the Miami financial district and in Palm Beach, Florida.
(p) 305.372.3300 (f) 305.379.7018
For yacht-specific inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com