- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
Michael R. Karcher practices in the areas of admiralty and maritime law, specializing in recreational yachts, marine environmental law and insurance issues. Karcher is a member of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute and has served as a Special Assistant Attorney General for the Florida Department of Natural Resources. He is the current chairman of the Miami Marine Arbitration Council, the past President of the Marine Council, and continues as the Program and Seminar Chairman. He has lectured at seminars for the Marine Industries Association of South Florida, the Florida Yacht Brokers Association and various boating groups in South Florida. At University of Miami, Karcher teaches Admiralty, a course that studies the problems of the maritime industry, including admiralty jurisdiction in the federal system and rights of seamen and maritime workers. He also teaches a course on Maritime Personal Injury and a seminar on Marine Ecology and Law.
- Crew Employment Agreements
- Charter Agreements
- Complex Yacht-Related Litigation
- University of Miami (J.D. 1985)
Professional & Civic Organizations
- International Yacht Brokers Association
- International Yacht Arbitration Council
- Marine Industries Association of South Florida
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Salvage 101, Triton Magazine (April 2023)
Salvage and the Marine Environment, Broward Bar Association-Maritime Commitee (January 2023)
Legal Aspects of Marine Surveyors, Chapman School of Seamanship – Surveyors Course (2022 – 2023)
- Bareboaters, Beware, Triton Magazine (October 2022)
Salvage, Hurricanes and the Florida Keys, SEALI Fall Meeting (October 2022)
- Ethics Panel – Yacht Brokers, International Yacht Brokers Association (October 2020)
- The IYBA’s New International Yacht Arbitration Council, International Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, February/March 2020.
- Maritime Arbitration and the MMAC, Maritime Law Association of the U.S. (October 2018)
- Maritime Liens and Vessel Arrests – International Yacht Brokers Association (October 2018)
Venue, Forum Selection and the Arbitration Clause Florida Yacht Brokers Association (October 2016)
- Maritime Arbitration – Marine Council Seminar (September 2016)
- Maritime Arbitration, International Arbitration Institute (2014)
- Crew Employment Issues, U.S. Superyacht Association – Seminar (March 2014)
- Independent Contractors, Dockwalk-online (December 2010)
Captains, Independent Contractors Yacht Info Seminar FLIBS (2010)
What Happens When the Deal Goes Bad? FYBA (October 2009)
- Foreign Flag Yachts Southern Boating (February 2008)
Employment Issues for Crew Members, The Triton (2006)
Escrow Accounts, Avoiding Problems FYBA (October 2006)
Salvage Claims, The Triton (2006)
- Protecting the Broker/Avoiding Liability, FYBA (October 2004)
The Ever-Increasing Environmental Damage Claim, Proceedings, Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (2002).
- Contracts 101: The Basics You Should Know about yacht Contracts, Florida Yacht Brokers, Seminar (2002)
New Boat Construction Contracts, Florida Yacht Brokers Seminar (2001)
- Presidents Column Marine Council-TradeWinds: (2001 – 2003)
- PWC Concerns Grow, Marine Business Journal (1995)
A Marine Sanctuary (Coming to A Waterway Near You?), Marine Business Journal (January 1996)
- Know Your Repair Role, Marine Business Journal (1995)
- Arbitration as an Option, Marine Business Journal (April 1995)
Getting Paid…On Time, Marine Business Journal (December 1994)
- Damages and Liability, Marine Business Journal (February 1995)
- Surveying A Marine Surveyor, Southern Boating (September 1994)
Know Your Repair Role, Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors (SAMS) News (Winter 1995)
- Engines, Emissions & the EPA, Marine Business Journal (April 1996).
- Getting Along in the Repair Yard, Marine Business Journal (June 1999).
Stand By to Be Boarded, Southern Boating Magazine; (May, 1991).
View From the Pilot House, “An Editorial on Sea Grass and Marine Law”, Southern Boating Magazine (March 1994).
Hiring and Firing, Marine Business Journal (Aug. 1994).
ABC’s Of The ADA, Marine Business Journal (Oct. 1994).
- How to Survey a Marine Surveyor, Southern Boating Magazine (Sept. 1994).
Developments in the 11th Circuit and Supreme Court, Proceedings, Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (1989).